Monday, May 7, 2007

A long drive for this...

To MICHIGAN!

Saturday the Kerman a.k.a Alex headed to Michigan to start the Hell of the North Cone Azalia. It's been a much anticipated race both of us have been looking forward to doing. After getting lost in Milan (where the race was to start) we made it to our hotel, unpacked, and headed into Ann Arbor for the evening. Yes I'm a Buckeye 100% but Ann Arbor is a fun little city. We found some lovely little seafood get up with a patio seat and had a good bowl of shrimp pasta, and enjoyed the "scenery". It was a little weird being the U's graduation weekend AND the local prom, but the town was a buzz so it was pretty cool. After stuffing our faces I had to jump across the street too Kilwin's for a nice cup of coffee and $15 in dark chocolate. Gamm tells me it makes you fast, and considering he's been faster than me, I took his advice. Mission fat and happy: ACCOMPLISHED. The last stop for the evening was the most amazing beer sellar I have ever seen for a six pack for the two of us to enjoy, and barnes and noble for a cycling magazine to read. A good night of a few brews and sports center is hard to top when your stuffed to the gills.

Sunday started well. Up early for a good breakfast of oatmeal, fruit, and a pastry and on the bike by eight to ride the course for the first time. I soon realized why this race is seen as the tough man's race of the midwest. Two long sections of dirt and gravel road cluttered with nice basketball sized potholes and a 30-35 mph wind, meant today was going to hurt. The turnout for the race was great, and considering the weather was 60-70 degrees I can see why. Appearently that doesn't happen much in Michigan this time of year. Anywho, Breezer from RiteAid Pro Cycling was there along size some Priority Health Riders as well as a full squad from A&F and Paul Martin and Kirk Albers from Texas Roadhouse. The race had a decisive move go early but I was happy to make the first chase group and be active. 4 laps in coming through a turn BOOM. No more tire. As I pulled to a stop I looked up just in time to see our fields wheel truck buzz by without seeing me. Race over for me! grr. In the end Greg Christian from Michigan state took the win ahead of breezer with the two roadhouser's coming in a few seconds behind. Sad end to a race where I felt good.

I hope to get some pictures from this weekend if I can, so if I do they will be up ASAP. ALSO congrats to my teammate Justin on his 4th place at Wilkesville, congrats on ur first good 1,2 result! Also congrats to MARK on his overall series win of the US Southeast Criterium Series! FASTEST REDHEAD I KNOW! Remember I have dirt on you if you go pro (the lake/shower) so dont forget me brother!

-dee OUT!-

No comments: