Thursday, January 10, 2008

Doing it the hard way...


four hours, 40 some degrees, rain rain and rain. Sometimes I wonder as Im punishing myself, numb toed, head throbbing as I ride from mountain to hill to steep freaking incline to mountain mountain, just why the hell I actually am doing what im doing. And for one of the first times in a long time I can say why. Because I love it. Theres something about putting my body to the test and overcoming it each and every day that makes me want to keep going, keep getting stronger, keep digging deeper. Every time I wake up and hear rain, I think, GREAT, now this is why I'm going to win races next year. No one wants to hop on the bike, saddle sored, soaking wet, and slog themselves up a 12 K climb only to descend it just a few minutes later, not being able to put into words what the goosebumps under your tiny little fleece lined, strappingly attractive leg warmers make you feel like as you sweep from switchback to switchback, with little to no visibility, only to have the person behind you in their heated little mini cooper flip you the bird out the window as you ride the brakes so you can pedal enough to keep your legs from tightening up to the point of complete oblivion. But it's doing this that makes me strong. Makes me best friends with how to hurt. Makes me no longer care what the weather's like because I know in the end, the guy next to me in the pack a few months from now who has sat on his trainer watching tour de france highlights, or family guy (no offense to anyone who does both---including myself) really hasn't touched this weather because he's afraid to get his bike dirty or because he just doesn't feel like it. pansy! Anyway. Enough of this rant, I just felt like venting my distaste for bad weather and people who are smart enough to avoid it. In essence, I have just made completely logical sense of something I love to do. Call me a hard man. Call me a psycho. Call me a complete idiot. Ill accept any of the above. Until later enjoy.

The road less travelled, at least by most... no where to go but DOWN! brrr.


I figured I would attempt to look like I enjoyed it. Heck it was freaking mythical!

2 comments:

T.Karnes said...

that climb is freaking AWSOME! sounds like a great ride, NOT. weather looks like it sucked. Cant wait to ride down there again!

Carp said...

dude- you just gave me more motivation to stay out longer tomorrow- I was thinking 2 hours- but when I'm freezing ass cold- I'll ride more